Before beginning the search for a brand name, every entrepreneur must have a clear notion of what type of name their company needs. But what if you don’t know where to begin? What if you can’t seem to think of any catchy name? Or perhaps you’re having problems sparking your creativity?
We’ve seen lots of new entrepreneurs struggle with naming their businesses, so we created this simple guide on naming based on what we’ve learned from running thousands of brand name contests and delivering unique business name ideas to over 35,000 businesses.
That said, here’s an easy way to name your brand.
Three Expert-Curated Steps to Choose the Best Business Name
- Start With Recognizing Your Brand
As an entrepreneur, you must know that the right brand name can make all the difference. It can help your business stand out, resonate with your target market, and embody your core values. But picking the best name can be challenging with so many words out there.
When naming your business, you need to ask yourself: What do I want my name to represent? What kind of message do I want to put out there? From there, you can narrow down your choices and find the best name for your business.
The most critical thing to remember is that the name should capture the essence of your business. The best name should spark an emotional connection with potential customers and instantly convey what you are about. It should be memorable and easy to pronounce.
Moreover, don’t just settle for any name. Take your time and pick something that truly reflects your brand identity and tone. Once you have a name, it’ll become the foundation for everything else, from your brand’s messaging to your website designs and business identity.
Take a moment to think about Accenture, the renowned consultant company. What image do you see when you hear or see the name?
To begin with, it has a smooth and high-end tone. And it works remarkably well for one of the world’s leading consulting organizations.
Naming your business isn’t a process to take lightly. With the correct name, you can create something exceptional and lasting. So take the time to research and get it right because your brand name is worth the effort.
- Start Brainstorming Catchy Words
This is the best part! Gather your team (if you have one), get some markers, notes, and a whiteboard, and let your creativity run wild! Keep in mind that the name-generation process does not include any analysis. So, you don’t need to evaluate names right now. Simply focus on igniting your creative energy and let your mind go wild.
You might be feeling overwhelmed when it comes to picking the best name for your business. But don’t worry; coming up with the perfect name does not have to be overwhelming.
Here are four tips to help you brainstorm and pick the best name for your business:
- Focus on short, simple, and unique names: Your name should be simple, easy to pronounce, spell, and remember. Don’t get too creative or cram too many words into your brand name. Your goal with naming is to communicate with customers, not flaunt weird brand names.
- Find Names That Stay True to Your Mission: Your business name should reflect your brand values and what your company does and stands for.
- Create Unique Names: Make sure your business name stands out from the competition and is not already taken by someone else.
- Test Drive Your Names. Examine the names you’ve found from different angles and see how it looks on logos, business cards, and other materials.
Don’t be afraid to write down terrible names. We suggest you gather a list of quirky names. Who knows what you’ll be able to create with them? That said, here are some tools that’ll assist you when brainstorming:
- brand name generators
Involving people of all ages in your creative process is also essential because they have varied viewpoints on innovative vs. traditional names. Doing this can give you a great view of different name ideas.
- Validate Every Name You Find
Before you can raise your arms in victory and rejoice that you got the perfect name, you’ll need to put the name through a few extra steps to ensure it’s the best one for you. So take a deep breath, and let’s get started.
You’ll want to ensure your business name is feasible, legally available, and emotionally visceral. After all, it’s all about getting the right feel and impact! With your perfect choice, you’ll be one step closer to success.
So, make sure you gather the following:
- Audience Input: It’s time to get feedback from the most important people in your life. Ask your friends and family what they think of your brand name, and don’t be afraid to seek out the opinions of strangers too.
Strike up a conversation with that cashier at your favorite cafe or the passenger sitting next to you on the train. Explain your mission and get their honest evaluation. With their help, you’ll ensure your company name has the perfect mix of pizzazz and poise.
- Web Address: Your business needs an excellent website. And, to get an exact match domain name, you need to check to see if your preferred business name’s ‘.com’ domain name is available.
In a perfect situation, you could access the ‘nameofyourbusiness.com’ immediately. But this isn’t often the case, and you could be required to pay a premium to get an exact-match domain.
- Trademarks: Trademarking may not be the most fun task, but ensuring your business is legally safe is vital. So, ensure no one else owns the name you want to use.
Naming Your Business is Crucial
Naming is crucial in building a solid brand identity and conveying your message. It all starts with recognizing the message of your business and then brainstorming catchy words that connect with your audience and stay true to your company’s mission.
After narrowing down your choices, make sure your name is feasible, legally available, and emotionally visceral. You can create something unique that resonates with your target audience with a sound business name.